Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Wayne Rooney Retired Internationally

Manchester United and England highest goalscorer of all time, Wayne Mark Rooney who this season returned to boyhood club, Everton after his contract with United ended last season; has decided to called quit to international football with England.

The former Manchester United Captain and England captain (born 24 October 1985, Croxteth, Liverpool, U.K) last play for the English national team against Scotland November 2016 which England won 3 - 0. Rooney before now is still most cap outfield player in England with 119 appearances and 53 goals, making him for short of Peter Shilton's record of 125 cap as the most cap player.

He has won laurels with Manchester United at club side but not with England, lot of trophies including English Premier League, Champions League, World Club Cup, Europa Cup (this year in May 2017) etc.

Southgate had phoned Wayne Rooney on Tuesday to say he wanted to include the long-serving forward for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Malta and Slovakia but the Manchester United legend has to informed England’s manager of his decision to quit international football in the same conversation.



“It is a really tough decision and one I have discussed with my family, my manager at Everton and those closest to me,” Wayne Rooney stated. “Playing for England National team has always been special to me. Every time I was selected as a player or captain was a real privilege and I thank everyone who helped me. But I believe now is the time to bow out.

“Leaving Manchester United was a tough call but I know I made the right decision in coming home to Everton my boyhood club. Now I want to focus all my energies on helping them be successful.

“I will always remain a passionate England fan. One of my very few regrets is not to have been part of a successful England tournament side.

“Hopefully the exciting players Gareth is bringing through can take that ambition further and I hope everyone will get behind the team. One day the dream will come true and I look forward to being there as a fan – or in any capacity.” Wayne Rooney, 31 now going to 32 in October, started playing for England as age 17 years in a friendly match against Australia at West Ham home stadium (Upton Park) in February 2003 and scored his first international goal in September same year against Macedonia.

No comments:

Post a Comment